NetAmerica Alliance Blog
Welcome to the NetAmerica Alliance Blog, where you can explore wireless industry news, trends, and commentary from us and around the industry.
4G Americas: LTE Network Momentum Now Pushing 250 Networks
4G LTE is up and running commercially on 200 networks in 78 countries worldwide, and that number will increase to 250 by the end of 2013, according to wireless industry association 4G Americas, which recently publicly released a list of all 200.
LTE deployment has been accelerating: over 100 will have been launched by the end of the year, according to 4G Americas, while the first two deployments based on 3GPP Release 10, LTE-Advanced standards have been launched commercially as well. LINK:
Deemed the fastest growing telecom innovation in history, the first two commercial LTE mobile broadband deployments took place in 2009. There were another 16 in 2010, 51 in 2011 and 139 in 2012, according to 4G Americas.
“Telia Sonera, in Norway and Sweden, was the first mobile network operator to commercially launch LTE in December 2009 and today the groundswell of commercial deployments continues as government regulators allocate and auction new spectrum,” 4G Americas' president Chris Pearson was quoted as saying. “Internationally harmonized spectrum in the Americas, and the rest of the world, has been the fuel for the explosive growth of LTE commercial network deployments.
A truly global trend, LTE continues to evolve as industry participants collaborate and compete to enhance the new mobile broadband standard. Two South Korean carriers – SK Telecom and LG U+ – employed carrier aggregation in deploying LTE-Advanced network features. Four commercial LTE-Advanced networks are expected to be launched in the U.S. this year, according to 4G Americas.
In addition to an updated list of global HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE networks, 4G Americas has assembled and presents a broad array of LTE facts, figures and new developments on its website. Following are some highlights:
- 200 commercial LTE networks today; 250 commercial LTE networks expected by the end of 2013
- Over 440 total commitments to LTE deployment by wireless operators to date
- 72 million LTE connections at the end of 2012
- 125 million LTE connections as of June 2013; representing an increase of 64 percent in six months
- Forecast 150 million LTE connections by end of 2013, more than doubling LTE connections at the end of 2012
- LTE connections are forecast to reach 1 billion by early 2018
- 29 commercial LTE networks deployed in U.S. and Canada
- 40 million LTE connections at the end of 2012
- 65 million LTE connections as of June 2013 with 55 percent global market share
- Forecast 75 million LTE connections by end of 2013
The NetAmerica Alliance and its Members are proud to be a part of this growing LTE ecosystem. LTE represents the fastest adopted mobile technology in history and our Members are ensuring that rural America is not left out of this historic momentum.